So, you feel a twinge of pain in your mouth and you know that you’re long overdue for a dental visit — what is your next step?
Unfortunately, more and more Americans are skipping out on visits to the dentist, leading to an increase in oral health problems. According to a 2014 Gallup survey, approximately one-third of Americans didn’t visit the dentist within a 12-month time frame.
Of course, each patient has their own particular reasons for skipping out on the dentist. This could be due to fear, embarrassment, or simply neglect. Another common reason keeping patients out of the dental chair is not having a dentist period.
Whether you need a routine cleaning or extensive restorative treatment, having the right dentist is crucial for receiving proper care and enjoying a comfortable experience.
Unsure where to start? We’ve got you covered!
The Ultimate Checklist For Finding a Great Dentist
We can’t emphasize enough the importance of doing your research while looking for a dentist in your area. Avoid picking the first dentist that pops up on Yelp and look more into the qualities of each option.
There are plenty of factors to keep in mind before choosing a dentist. Some of the top qualities to consider include:
- Location: Remember, you’re going to need to visit your dentist at least twice a year but maybe more frequently if you happen to need more dental work. Choose a dentist that is within a reasonable distance for you to travel. Some patients find it easier to pick a dentist close to their school or work to easily pop in for an appointment during a lunch hour or mid-day break.
- Office Hours and Accessibility Factors: Along with our last point, you’ll want to choose a dentist with office hours that work with your schedule. Depending on the flexibility of your schedule, this may not be a huge factor to keep in mind.
- Dentist’s Professional Qualification and Experience: Consider the dentist’s qualification and experience before becoming a patient. Some qualifications to keep in mind includes membership in professional associations, clinical experience, and training.
- Financing and Payment Plans: What insurance does the office accept? Do they offer other payment options? These are both very important questions to keep in mind while researching a dentist. Also, find out if your dentist will give you a cost breakdown prior to any dental treatment.
- Comfort: Feeling comfortable with your dentist will not only make your treatment go smoother, but it will also help you feel at ease bringing up any questions or concerns you may have. Choosing a dentist you feel comfortable with can be difficult through research alone. That is why we encourage you to look up patient reviews! While searching through past reviews, look for any insight into the dentist’s chairside manners and amenities or technology in the office.
Why Wait!? Choose Amherst Village Dental
If you’re in Amherst, Nashua, or other south New Hampshire areas, consider Amherst Village Dental! We offer dental treatments for the entire family, including check-ups, cleanings, orthodontics, whitening, dental crowns, and more.
To get started today, contact our office and schedule your appointment with Dr. Ang.